Satay is a dish of seasoned, skewered and grilled meat, which is universally loved. It is believed that satay is a cousin to the Middle-Eastern kebabs under the influence of the early Arab traders.
The most popular is chicken or pork satay, however, but beef as well as tofu are used to make satay. The dish is very easy to make and has a sweet taste. The easiest way to prepare satay is given in the recipe below.
You'll need 12 skewers.
• 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 tablespoon peanut oil
• 700g chicken tenderloins cut into thin strips
• 1 1/3 cups rice
• 6 green onions, sliced diagonally
• 1 cup satay (barbecue) sauce
• 1/4 cup coconut milk
• olive oil cooking spray
• steamed Asian greens
1. Soak the skewers in hot water for 30 minutes.
2. Combine soy sauce, honey, turmeric, garlic and oil in a ceramic bowl and then add chicken pieces.
3. Thread chicken onto skewers. Pour marinade over the skewers along with turning them to coat well.
4. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
5. Cook rice, an add onions into it.
6. Place the satay sauce and coconut milk in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir for 2 minutes.
7. Spray skewers with oil and preheat the barbecue grill.
8. Cook for 6 minutes.
9. Place skewers on plates and drizzle with satay mixture. Serve with rice and Asian greens.