Fine Dry Fish
Sri Lankan: Fish Ambul Thiyal
Ambul Thiyal is a popular dish made in Sri Lankan homes. The dish mainly has a dried fish curry with a sour taste. It can be stored for a few days at room temperature without getting spoilt. Goraka, which is responsible for the sour flavor in the dish, also helps to preserve the fish.
Fish Ambul Thiyal Recipe:
1 lb firm fish like tuna cut
into 1" pieces
1 tsp tamarind paste
1/4 cup vinegar
1 med onion chopped
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp salt
6-8 curry leaves
1 piece lemon grass
1" piece cinnamon
1/4 tsp fenugreek seed
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 cups water
2 tsp oil
· &nb sp; Wash and dry the fish on paper towels.
· &nb sp; Soak the tamarind in vinegar until soft.
· &nb sp; Mix well and ensure that there are no lumps.
· &nb sp; Put all ingredients into a pan and mix well.
· &nb sp; Keep for 45 mins. Bring to a boil.
· &nb sp; Reduce heat and uncover the pan until the fish is cooked and gravy is thick.
· &nb sp; Shake pan and turn the fish carefully twice during cooking.
· &nb sp; Serve with white rice.